Celebrity Crushes

Come on, we all have them. As for myself I have a list of about thirty or so. What can I say? In my alternate reality I'm quite the floozy. The thing that changes is who is at the top of my list. Currently it's the singing-guitar playing-Canadian brothers Sebastian and Oliver Pigott. Sebastian first came into my life when he appeared as a regular on one of my favorite TV shows "Being Erica" as rock star/barista Kai Booker. My friend Rita best described him as the love child of Ryan Phillipe and Spike from "Buffy The Vampire Slayer". He can sing and his song "Alien Like You" has been stuck on my mind for the last week...

What is it about the celebrity crush? For 99% of us it'll never happen. We'll have dirty thoughts, doodle their name in hearts on our steno pads, stalk them via Facebook/Myspace/Various Magazine covers, and buy their Cd's or movies as soon as they come out. Just how much of our desire for these celebs is due to the fact that they are so unattainable?

This brings me back to Middle School/High School where I was a chubby and awkward girl (hell I still am) gazing adoringly at the boys I will refer to as "The Beautiful People": Michael, Julian, Nick to name a few. Although not celebrities, they were some of the most physically beautiful people I have ever laid my over sized brown eyes on. They practically had groupies swooning at their feet wherever they went. For the most part they were each polite to me, but none of them would ever date me. There was a caste system in school and "The Beautiful People" only dated their female counterparts. In my opinion these boys were just as unattainable to me back then as the Pigott brothers are to me today.

So what exactly is the point to these crushes if they are doomed from the very start? I haven't a damn clue, yet it hasn't stopped me at 29 years old from still getting them. Who is your impossible dreamboat?

4 comments:

Claire Dawn said...

This post makes me want to giggle. :)

Orlando Bloom- sigh! He's gonna be my husband. He just doesn't know it yet!

Oh, Richard Dean Andersen (Macgyver) was my first celeb crush. I was like 8. I also had a thing for Johnny Depp, back in his 21 Jumpstreet Days, before the rest of the world knew he existed. I've kinda got a thing for upper B-listers. Can't have them too celeb-y, can I now? lol!

ElbieNy25 said...

check out Sebastian and Oliver Pigott...they are defintely B-Listers and super cute! I already described what Sebastian looks like while Olliver (Ollie for short) looks like Colin Farrell when his hair is cut short. And nothing is sexier than a soulful singer!

Regina said...

I have a sweet spot for Christian Kane.

Chuck23 said...

My crushes vary with the season. One thing they all have in common though is personality. Jon Stewart, for one...

Post a Comment