Am I ready?

Yesterday at the doctors office she asks me the most obvious question of all, "Are you ready for the next step?"

My brown eyes widen and I hesitate. Am I ready? Antonio and I have wanted a baby for so long, we have tried so hard, and with this course of treatment I could get pregnant (best case scenario) in a month's time. financially we are not 100% where we want to be, my health is not 100% where it should be, but am I ready? Are you ever really ready for parenthood?

My entire life I have had theories on parenthood which parents I know claim will completely change once I am in the actual situation, but what i do know is the love I could give a child. Anyone who has ever met me could never doubt the abundance of love I hold in my heart and how readily I dispense it to those in my life. A couple of years ago I started making positive changes in my life in anticipation of a baby.

Am I ready? I don't know, but I want to be. There are so many things I want in my life: to be a top selling novelist, to be thin and "beautiful", to be financially secure, to be mentally and physically well...above all else I want a child in my life. I know I will fumble, I don't expect perfection in my parenting like I demand it in other aspects of my life. And I know all the classes, books, websites, advice, and magazines will never prepare me for the actuality of parenthood.

I am ready to give my heart, love, attention, devotion, and life to someone else without expecting anything in return.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are more than ready. You are ready because you, though young you are, have the wisdom and compassion to be a good parent. I wish you the very best, my friend. You will be a wonderful mother.

Claire Dawn said...

Like you said, is anyone ever ready?

Anonymous said...

Elbie, I can't email you--(laptop problem) but i wanted to tell you I used your name in a new story on vamplit!

http://vamplit.com/2010/04/invitation-by-carole-gill/

it's a character's surname--Elbie I thought you'd get a kick out of it!xx

Regina said...

I think it is wonderful and this will be another path on your journey. I think you're ready and you are going to make a beautiful, wonderful, nurturing mother. I'm still learning every day. Everyday is a new adventure.

Anonymous said...

You're ready for this big step. You will make a wonderful mother.
One other thing: don't be so obsessed with the weight thing. You are beautiful the way you are now. I'm sure your husband loves the real Laura.

Anonymous said...

girl, you know how I feel! Now get it together and make that schedule we talked about!! Good luck!!

Post a Comment