Leopard Print Cork Wedges




Liam sat by nursing a beer while he watched one of his best friends dancing with the girl he had been secretly pining over for months. It was a secret to her, but just about everyone else knew about it. She had had a rough day at work and felt a night of dancing was in order. The usual group was there hanging out laughing and having a good time, all except Liam.

When he picked her up that night she was wearing this short tight black dress, with leopard print shoes, tons of make-up on her face, with her hair blown out straight. My first though was that this isn't Beth. Beth is the low key jeans, t-shirts, pony tail kind of girl. I didn't even think she owned make-up. Who was she trying to be tonight? And why? She's a naturally beautiful girl and all this did was dilute that beauty.

One of my friends took an immediate liking to this new look. He was flirting with her as soon as we entered the club. While technically I have no claims on Beth, he knew how I felt about her and shouldn't have gone there, but Reed is a walking hormone that can't be stopped. He had previously joked that if I didn't make a move someone else probably would, I just never thought it would be him. Beth tried to get me to dance with her and looking back I should have because my refusal left the opportunity there for Reed to dive right in.

They were all over each other on the dance floor. My other friends tried to convince me it was all completely innocent, but I knew better because I know with Reed nothing is ever innocent. I could kick myself for all the chances I blew to make a move and tell her how I felt. Who knows, maybe tonight could have gone very differently if I had.

One minute Reed and Beth are rubbing up against each other on the dance floor and the next minute they were gone. The problem is that Beth had been drinking a bit which was another thing completely out of character for her and I needed to make sure she was okay. My first instinct was to head to the bathroom where she might be throwing up, but out of the corner of my eye I saw them on the back porch together making out against a wall. Obviously the dance floor was the PG version of what was going on now. I mean all clothing was still on, but hands and mouths were everywhere.

Anger and jealousy consumed me as I pulled Reed off of her. One look at her glazed over expression I could tell she didn't fully understand what was going on. The smirk on Reed's face told me he did. I am known to be calm, cool, and collected at almost all times. Now it was turn to act of character.

"She's not one of your random hoes Reed!"

"I know that. We're just having fun."

"No you're taking advantage of a girl whose clearly shitfaced."

"Are you upset that it's not you?"

"Fuck off." I grab Beth's arm and steer her towards my car. She muttering stuff about the room spinning even though we're outside.

When we get back to my house she's so disoriented I have to carry her inside. I lay her down on my bed and oddly enough as soon as I take off those shoes its as if she transforms to her former self. As I'm pulling blankets over her she strokes my face with the inside of her hand. "Liam please don't hate me."

"There is nothing you could ever do to make me hate you." Then I thought for a moment, "But I do hate those shoes."

She laughed which happens to be my favorite sound in the world. She pulls me down beside her and I wrap my large arms around her tiny body. It doesn't take long for her to fall asleep with her head on my chest. I close my eyes too as I inhale her scent. I will always be there for her, I will always protect her, and I will always love her even if she doesn't know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment