Aiwalk Black and Gray Stripes with stars



Continuation of Katie and Nick....

Two old friends sit across from each other in a cafe while a small child colors at the next table. The silence between them is not because they have nothing to say, but rather because they have far too much to say to one another. Both had assumed their story had ended long ago, yet here they are dropped right in the middle of the unexpected sequel.

Nick glances over at Jacob, "He's beautiful Katie."

"I'm sorry I kept him from you, at the time I thought it was best that we all moved forward with our lives."

Those hazel eyes search her face for answers, "At the time? Obviously something has changed."

"I have no right to be here, to ask you for another chance. I'm an idiot, always have been. You used to think it was one of my charms. Remember what a fool I made of myself the day we met?"

His face breaks into a smile as he recalls the joke she made about being the owner's lover. Obviously Katie couldn't have had the foresight to know at the time that Nick was the nephew of the happily married owner. And so many years later Nick is running the place as a partial owner. Banjo's had always been his dream, his only dream, until the day Katie had walked into his life and changed everything.

It's true he didn't sit around pining after her all these years. He even managed to date a bit, but no one could ever get Katie out of his mind or his heart no matter how hard they tried. The ghost of her had a very strong presence. And the thoughts that haunted him of her and Charlie living happily ever after together. He could have chased her, could have tried to find her but he just assumed she had made up her mind and nothing he could do could change it.

Now after all this time she walks back into his cafe, into his life, and with a child? Their child. He had often said that when Katie left she took a part of him with her, he just had no idea how literal that was. How can he want to sweep her in his arms and comfort her like he had always done while at the same time wanting to yell at her for all the pain she caused him.

"You were my best friend. I thought that would never change. I thought you would always be a part of my life", the hurt is obvious in his voice. "What happened with Charlie?"

Katie shrugged, "He wasn't you."

She looks up at the wall of artwork next to them. There's oils, photography, pastels, sketches. And in the center of it all is a framed drawing on a napkin of stick figures, so completely out of place. "You still have it?"

"Some of us can't let go of things so easily as if they never mattered."

Tears spring to her eyes, "I'm going to fight for you Nick the way you once did. And any way I can make it back into you heart I'll take. I can't lose you again. I need you." Jacob has stopped coloring and is at her side now. "He needs you too. Please don't punish him because of me."

She starts to walk away when Nick says, "Where are you staying?"

"Don't know yet. We'll figure something out."

"You're family and family can always come back home."

Katie rushes into his arms. She missed his strong gentleness, his smell, his warmth. Maybe this is a not a sequel, but an entirely different novel. Time and distance may have turned them into different people. Or maybe not because deep down you will always be who you were meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment