Black Leather Mary Janes



These shoes take me back to my youth. I remember the excitement when my parents gave me a house key and told me I no longer needed to go to a baby sitter before an after school. And yes I was excited to be taking the bus with my friend Lucie Iuzzolino. Middle School meant changing classes, lockers, and meeting kids from Liberty and Upper Nyack Elementary Schools.

These were my first steps towards adulthood, at least in my diluted eleven year old mind they were. Jason, Adam, and Matt discussed sports while I kind of stood off by myself. There was this unspoken fraternity amongst neighborhood boys who spent the summer playing on the otherwise quiet streets together. The other girl at the bus stop, Annie, was in special ed and very quiet. She would just stare at you which creeped me out at the time because in my ignorance I didn't understand just how innocent it all was.

This was an interesting time when you're stuck between childhood and adulthood. Cartoons and Puberty. So many girls were getting boyfriends and exploring their sexuality, I felt so left behind....something I would more than make up for several years later. And suddenly I was supposed to be embarrassed that I still watched cartoons, slept with a night light, and played with my Barbies daily.

Looking back I was in such a rush to grow up and fit into something that didn't quite fit me yet. If I could go back I would want to slowly ease into it all, enjoy the journey however bumpy it may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment