American Eagle Canvas Plaid Flats





These shoes are comfortable and cute, but I think I may have outgrown them. In actuality with the weight I have lost these shoes along with several others are too big on me. It took my March shoe challenge for me to try on these shoes and realize they may not be such a good fit for me anymore.

Of course this is a metaphor as I am the metaphor queen. I'm starting to think about certain past behaviors of mine that I have or am starting to outgrow.

1. Dating/Friendships. Take the latest two guys I dated: Gavin and Don. In order to be involved with them it took a lot of effort on my part, far more effort than they were giving. Both of them were evasive, moody, and couldn't commit to plans ahead of time or backed out at the last minute. Additionally both are emotionally unstable, now for me to say that is REALLY saying something. Do I really want to be around someone that's no negative and brings me down? Do I really want to put time into something when the other person isn't willing to do the same? Do I want to pursue something platonic or otherwise with people who don't appreciate me or my worth? The answer to all the above is NO. One of them was far too interested in teh sexual aspect of things while the other one wasn't at all. It would be nice to find something in the middle that's just right. Call me Goldilocks if you'd like.

2. Food Prep. Ask anyone and they will tell you just how lazy I was when it came to making my own meals. It was just easier to get take-out, something microwavable, or something instant where I just add water. My big meal was tacos which only required cooking the meat for about 10 minutes. Since January of this year I decided to start experimenting in the kitchen and expanding my culinary skills. Now I'm on a routine of trying one new recipe a week...and I hate to admit it, but I am actually enjoying myself. Right now I am just cooking for myself, but maybe at some point I'll brave doing it for other people. Some of my past successes have included: Southwest Turkey Burgers, Turkey Ziti, Chicken with Swiss and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Chicken Carnitas, and my latest Pasta with Turkey and Peppers.

3. The battle between the Pessimist and the Optimist. For a very long time that we'll classify as the majority of my life The Pessimist ruled the land of Laura. All I could see and all I could focus on was what I didn't have. Now I'm not saying The Pessimist doesn't still have small victories, but The Optimist has been successfully sitting on the thrown for quite some time now. I'm pretty sure I posted a blog or two recently about all I am thankful for, so I won't go over that again. This also kind of reinforces what I mentioned in #1 that I don't want to be around negative people as negativity tends to breed more negativity. Is my life perfect, absolutely not, but I have so many more good things than bad things going on and I'd like to keep it that way.

Sometimes it's easier to stay with what's familiar. I know because I speak from personal experience. Hell I have over 70 pairs of shoes, but I wear the same six pairs over and over again. I think for me I'm finally learning that you have to take a chance and step outside your comfort zone to see what else is out there. Maybe it'll suck, maybe it won't but it's so much better than never knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment