115 N Holmes St: Learning to Drive

This is from Maggie's perspective


When I first moved up to Albany I was asked so many times why I didn't know how to drive. People in the suburbs don't get that people in the city don't need to drive and actually most of us don't. Where having a car is a basic necessity in suburbia, in the city it can be more of a hassle with all the traffic and limited parking. And insurance prices, forget about it.

For the most part I managed to do just fine without my own transport. Albany has a pretty decent bus system that can get me to most places I need to go. On the occasion it doesn't I know someone who is willing to get me there or I can spring for a cab. Thankfully the latter doesn't happen to often. Adapting to survive has become one of my biggest strengths over the years.

Yet who would have thought at 63 years old I'd be learning how to drive? You're probably wondering what's even the point to start now. Well it's something I wanted to do for me mostly to see if I could. They say "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" and I say a stubborn old Puerto Rican Dog can learn anything it wants to.

I know that both Mike and Daphne would have been more than willing to help me out, but it was Louwin I approached. To be completely honest I had ulterior motives of getting to know her a little better. I remember when I first moved up to the Albany area and how disconnected I felt when I started that job with the house keeping business. It's not easy being the new kid and feeling like the odd one out. And I know how consumed Mike and Daphne are with their owns lives right now, let me be the one to extend the olive branch.

To my pleasant surprise Louwin was very excited to go on this little adventure with me. She suggested we use the visitor parking lots over at SUNY. She was both patient and encouraging with me. Someday if she decides to be a mother these traits will go a long way. My arrangement with Louwin became the same bartering system everyone else in the house uses: teach me to drive, I'll teach her some cooking skills. The poor girl only knows sandwiches and instant just add water type of meals. I may handle dinner, but she's lost for breakfast and lunch.

While washing vegetables one night Louwin declared, "Mike hates me."

I put my hand on her shoulder, "No sweetheart, he does not hate you he just does not know you. Give it time. All friends start out as strangers."

Her shoulders slumped. Maybe it's just me, but I never understood this great need for someone to seek validation in others. You should seek it in yourself. Some people, usually younger people, carry the weight of the world on their shoulders unnecessarily. I guess that is age and experience though.

After a minute of chopping peppers I added, "You should talk to him, find out his story. Daphne too."

Louwin spun on her heals with a grin on her face. "What is your story Maggie?"

No comments:

Post a Comment