115 N Holmes St: First Date Butterflies

****This is from Maggie's perspective****

There is a nice man at my church, Walter Jones, who fills in for the organist sometimes. Our interactions have never been more than the usual pleasantries about the weather or the sermon. I am certain that you can imagine my surprise when he asked me out to brunch. It's been more than forty years since I have been involved in any type of romantic scenario with a man. Forty years!

Walter was my age, more or less, with thinning white hair, black rimmed eye glasses, and always wore a nice grey suit to service. He often played show tunes for the stragglers to sing along to after service. And Brunch is that even an actual meal? All of this seemed pretty harmless, yet I was a nervous wreck.

You see with my late husband there was a familiar comfort about it all. He was a boy from the neighborhood I had known my entire life. Where I grew up you knew everyone, their family, their pets, their hobbies. We were all one giant extended family in a way. And sometimes childhood friends developed into romance, it was a completely natural progression. None of this man you barely know asking you out for some special one on one time. I told Walter I would think about it. He gave me his number for when I decided.

The following night while preparing dinner I asked Louwin, "Do you have any plans this Saturday?"

She shrugged, "Maybe laundry. Nothing set in stone though, why?"

"I was hoping you could accompany me on an outing."

Mike walked into the kitchen, "Smells good. Are you guys still doing those driving lessons?"

I nodded, "Yes, but this is not for that. I wanted to ask Louwin if she would join me and Walter for brunch."

She smirked, "Um, isn't it going to be awkward if I tag along on your date?"

"It's not a date. It's just a man and a woman going out to eat."

Mike chimed in, "That sounds like a date to me."

Suddenly an idea hit me, "Well then you should come too Mike. You, Louwin, me, and Walter. That should be fun."

Mike shook his head, "I don't know about that. I think I'm re-shingling the roof anyways."

I gave him a stern look in the face, "Mike have I ever asked anything of you ever?"

"No"

"And do I not cook you delicious dinners and make you nice lunches nearly every day?"

"Yes."

"So does it seem fair to refuse me this one small thing?"

"Well...when you put it like that."

I turned on my heal back towards the stove, "Great, both of you should be ready Saturday by 9:30 AM. I'll call Walter to let him know."


Brunch was interesting to say the least and not just because it was my first date in several decades. There is something with Mike and Louwin, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet. You don't bicker that much with someone unless there's something deeper going on. Walter noticed it too and even commented on what a lovely couple they made.

Mike snorted, "We're not dating, I don't even like her as a person."

Louwin looked hurt and excused herself from the table to go outside. To my surprise I didn't even have to prompt Mike to go outside and talk to her. For the first time I saw actual regret on his face from one of his snide remarks. Like I said there is something going on there. For a moment I tried to lip read what they were saying to one another through the window, but Walter captured my attention.

He was lovely, charming, and intelligent. I found out that he had lost his wife a few years back to Cancer, but he had four children and thirteen grandchildren that he lived for. He joked that he never knew the piano lessons he was forced to take as a child would turn into something he enjoyed so much later in life. I told him about how my enjoyment came from making a house a home with delicious food and upkeep. I explained my family was the one I created rather than the one I was born into. The conversation flowed with such ease that we didn't even notice how long Mike and Louwin were gone for, it was only when I glanced up through the window again that I saw they weren't there at all.

Walter drove me home since my ride had unexpectedly abandoned me. I had a feeling it was for a real good reason that I didn't need to be upset with them over. Life has a funny way of working itself out. Instead of focusing all my energies into others, I want to see where things go with my new friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment