02/17/2011

It's true that I am guilty of using the term "friends" far too loosely and have the ugly habit of referring to people as friends when they are merely acquaintances or coworkers. If I am to be completely honest with myself I only REALLY have very few real true friends that have stood by me at worst supporting me when I wasn't strong enough to support myself.

The next thing I am about to say people will either completely get or they won't, but I have actually considered my pets my friends. They accepted me as I was, never needed more from me than basic care and love, and never turned their backs on me when I needed someone to talk to. It has been said that a love between a person and their pet is one of the truest types of love there is because it is pure and free of complications. Your pet won't manipulate, lie, betray, talk behind your back, use you, or do any number of seedy things people are capable of. Take it for what it is, but it's completely true.

Suddenly on the evening of 2/17/11 I lost my best friend, Drew Bunnymore. And although I have an amazing love with my newer rabbits Banjo and Amelia, I am unsure if I will ever love a four legged creature the way I loved Drew. Drew and I experienced so many traditions together from moving from South Carolina to NY, moving into my house in Scotia, and the collapse of my marriage. On days when I felt the world didn't love or want me I knew that Drew did and sometimes just holding him could make the tears go away.

He understood me in a way most of my human companions did not. The best was that bunny intuition to know those days I needed just a little extra TLC or a good laugh with his binkies expeditions. And for a while after his death I was filled with regrets for not spending enough time with him and not showing him just how much he meant to me. Here's the thing, when you get close to someone they just know what is in your heart without the words ever leaving your mouth.

This is for you Drew. 10/16/06-02/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment