Broil-her I barely Know Her (Nobody Interview)


***Disclaimer: All previous interviews were done on the computer so I was able to cut and paste exact responses. This was my first phone interview so responses are paraphrased although I did a final read-through with the interviewee to make sure I was accurate***

Okay I have been seriously slacking on my blog the last few weeks and completely dropped the ball on my favorite feature "The Nobody Interviews". Today's interview is Delaina Bomhoff, a girl who knows her way around the kitchen.

1. How do we know each other?

We met nine years ago when I did my one semester at SUNY Albany.

2. What first inspired your passion for cooking?

Probably my mother's lack of passion for cooking. She's so passionate about everything else, but her definition of cooking is opening up a package and tossing it into the microwave oven or crockpot.

3. Do you have a specialty dish? If so please share the details.

Probably what impresses people the most is my Moose which I make from scratch. One dark chocolate bar, 1/2 semi sweet baking bar, orange liquor which I cook in a double boiler. Next I beat with egg yokes, fold egg whites into it, and chill it. Then I make homemade crepes and put the Moose into the crepes.

4. Do you have a specific brand you prefer for your kitchen "arsenal" and if so why?

I have favorite pieces, but not a brand I'm loyal too. Like I buy a Honda, then another Honda, then another Honda. I have a Vitamix which is this high powered blender and I couldn't live without it. LOVE IT!!!!

5. Do you find yourself more critical of other people's cooking?


I'm not critical of the process of other people's cooking, but the ingredients they use. I think they should get the highest quality ingredients like why get a Kia when you can get a Beamer? I like to use car analogies. But there's a huge difference in taste.

6. Speaking of ingredients, where do you shop for yours?


I live across the street from a supermarket, Publix, where I get the bulk of my products. I go comnpletely organic so what I can't get there I buy at Whole Foods.

7. Where do you get your recipes from?

I have a "go-to" book I use, Rodale's Whole Food Cookbook. That's when I'm at home, of course there's my lap top. I'll go onto www.allrecipes.com or www.recipeszar.com and look up two or three different recipes, then combine the parts of them that I like.

8. Do you have any formal culinary training? If not, do you want some?

I do not (have formal training) and I've toyed with the idea of attending the local culinary arts school here. But the jobs I would get once I graduate from there would interfere with the things that are the most important to me: my daughter, my husband, my dog, and my cat. You have to be willing to sacrifice a lot.

9. Would you ever want to cook professionally in any capacity?

I would own my own cafe if there wasn't a ridiculous amount of overhead. If I lived in a smaller town maybe, but a huge city like Orlando makes survival for a "mom and pop" really difficult.

10. I just want to thank you once again for doing this interview. As per tradition my last question is, if you could be any breakfast cereal what would you be and why?

Probably the Back to Nature Chocolate Granola because it's awesome and my husband loves it, so I could be a cereal and he would still love me, just sprinkle me on his yogurt.

2 comments:

Cheryl B. Dale said...

Did you HAVE to post the picture? Hmmm?

Even before I read the interview, I got the urge to run out to the sweet shop in the Village because I DON'T COOK!

Chuck23 said...

Cool! Not what I expected at all for the Nobody interview - just fun!

Post a Comment