Baby Got Back Problems (Bitch it Out Thursday)

It started November of 2008, approximately 3 months after my horrific near fatal car accident. A burning pain radiated from my right shoulder blade. Then it spread to my right rib cage, felt like someone had kicked me over and over again in some violent hate crime.

It hurt to breath.

Sometimes the pain would span like a band across my back and chest. Other times it would travel down my right arm.

I could barely move.

I saw my primary care physician. I went to the ER twice. I saw a neurologist. I got a professional deep tissue massage. I applied heat. I applied cold. I tried a variety of pain killers. I rubbed on medicinal cream. Nothing really seemed to work.

They ran tests: bone scan, MRI, X-ray. Everything came back normal. WTF?

More than a year and 1/2 later the pain still persists. Sometimes I'm in tears with severely limited mobility on my right hand side. Driving hurts, typing hurts, carrying stuff hurts...

My dad keeps insisting I try Acupuncture. I would, but insurance doesn't cover it and it's like $80 a session. Maybe I just run up my credit card bill, I need to get my life back. Can I put a price limitation on getting well?

4 comments:

Claire Dawn said...

Sometimes with the number of advances that modern medicine has made, we forget that they don't know everything. (Although it would be quite convenient if they did.) Hope it gets better soon!

Unknown said...

Did they do an EMG? Could be a radiculopathy, myospasms or pinched nerve of some sort. I'm assuming the neurologist did one, but I could be wrong.

ElbieNy25 said...

@ Claire I know what you mean, with all the doctors and tests out there yet they all scratch their heads when it come to me. I have always been a bit of a medical anomole.

@ Mark That is one test I haven't had done. When I brought it up w/ my neurologist he seemed to think teh test wouldn't make much sense, I forget his reasoning but I understood it at the time.

Chuck23 said...

lol - like the title! I don't think a price can ever be place on well-being...

Post a Comment