Are you out there? (Bitch It Out Thursday)

I have always equated jobs to relationships. When I was younger and had my part time/after school gigs, that was like casual dating. I knew it was short term and really just for fun. I didn't get much out of it except a small paycheck and product discounts, but it served its purpose at the time.

After college I wanted to find something more substantial, something I could grow with and be with long term. In seven years I have had six jobs: a bank, an elementary school, a data publishing company, an insurance call center, another insurance call center, and a personal lines insurance agency. Basically I stay at each one for about a year busting my ass in efforts to move up within the ranks, but for some odd reason it never seems to work out. I just haven't found that fit.

I don't want another job, I want a career. I want to find my niche; where I can excel at what I do, love what I do, and make good money at what I do. I would call that the holy trifecta and I'm starting to have my doubts if I'll ever find it.

Like dating, all my jobs seemed GREAT in the beginning. Full of promises that were later unfulfilled. Managers that didn't believe in me or worse yet berated me. And then I lose my steam and motivation.

I think I would be an amazing office manager or personal assistant. I'm organized, detail oriented, customer friendly, can work great independently and in a team setting, and have done general admin work for every job I have had since I was fourteen.

The other aspect is that I don't get paid my worth. Jobs always low ball me and I jsut accept it because I have this stupid belief that I don't deserve any better. Every since July 1st when I got self esteem I decided I will NOT settle in any aspect of my life and that especially includes employment. So I'll looking around for that dream job that gives me what I want and I need.

5 comments:

PK HREZO said...

I hear ya, sister. I've never had a job I could say I loved. There's so many office politics to put up with and when you're not dealing with that you're dealing with annoying customers. But I've learned that not all of us get to have a job we love... sometimes it's just a matter of paying the bills. That's why writing is such a retreat for me. It gives me hope that my life is not just about working for The Man... I have a way out, a possibility that I cling to, that I love. It may be a long road to profitability by writing, but as long as one job pays the bills, I can lean on writing to fullfill that empty chasm inside my soul that has widened from working for corporations that flat out don't care about its employees.

Cheryl B. Dale said...

Yeah, PK's right. A job isn't always fun but you gotta have one to live. And writing helps.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. I didnt get my MA to sit around as someones secretary making under 30k a year, doing BS work, and having NO opportunity to better myself. I dont think it's you, I think it's just the economy in general.

Its maddening. Im really quite depressed about my non-career status. It's what I have worked hardest for my whole life, and I have nothing to show for it. :(

Claire Dawn said...

I'm so lucky. I've never had to do something I didn't love- but then, I love something different every year :)

GOod luck on that hunt, because you ARE SO worth it, don't ever tell yourself different.

ElbieNy25 said...

@ PK & Cheryl, I do believe the career I love is out there, it just may take me a while to find out. So in the meantime I'm kissing all these frogs to get to my prince lol

@Amy that's what I'm talking about, bust my ass to get ahead and the illegal that mows lawns makes more $$$ than me

@Claire, this is another thing that makes you wonderful and unique.

Post a Comment