Speed Dating For Novelists

Over the course of the last week I rifted through the names of approximately 250 literary agents in an effort to send out query letters to find a potential match for my novel. So far I have received three rejections. The old Laura would have taken it personally, shed some tears, and gone into a self deprecating tirade. But honestly what's the point? There will be so many more to come. As one e-rejection put it "this is an industry of opinions and ours is only but one, so please keep trying." Well duh!

I equate finding "the one", the agent who will fall in love with my manuscript, to dating. Sometimes a person will walk right past you without even looking. Other times they'll glance, but disregard you. Then there's the occasional flirting which may lead to a first date. During the dating process you get to know someone both mentally and physically. Finding a literary agent is more about the physical in my opinion. They lay it all out there for you: some want a mere taste of you while others want you to give it all up right away. Then you're left vulnerable waiting to see if they want more. Will they call me? Did they like me? Considering all the query letters I sent out, some with pieces of my manuscript, I'm feeling a little slutty.

But you have to put yourself out there, it's all part of the mating game. And I could end up with 100 rejections, probably will and that's okay, because all I need in the end is one acceptance. All I need is that one literary agent to see the potential in my novel; that one agent who will want to climb into bed with it (figuratively of course) and feel the passion I felt while I created it.

What do I want in an agent? Someone who is persistent, honest, creative, intelligent, can think outside the box, loyal, can give me a swift kick in the ass when I need it but isn't afraid to hold my hand if I need that too, and most importantly someone who believes in my novel as much as I do. Notice I didn't list anything about experience level because someone may be new to the game but have more fire than those who have been around a lot longer; much like myself.

So I sit here waiting, hoping, wanting, and dreaming for that special someone. I know in my heart they will come, it's just a matter of when and how.

No comments:

Post a Comment