Because Rita told me to do this back in November

Everyone is familiar with the "Twilight" books/movies and if you aren't you were probably living under a rock for the past two years.

My qualm is with this specific scene in "New Moon". Bella, an 18 year old girl, goes missing for hours. Her father Charlie being a typical father AND the chief of police sends out a search party for her especially with the mysterious gory deaths that just happen to occur in this town. Charlie is surrounded by his search party going over the next course of action when a half naked man (at least ten years older than Bella) walks out of the woods carrying an unconscious Bella. Everyone including Charlie thanks the naked man for finding Bella. WTF?

Let's look at the facts here:

Teenage daughter MIA for hours
History of gruesome deaths in the town
Half naked older man carrying teenage girl
Teenage girl unconscious

How many dads do you know that would be thanking the half naked man? Now how many dad's do you know that would be using their shot gun on the man? I know this is not just me. And my dad was a conservative elementary school teacher who hardly ever let anything phase him, but somehow I doubt he would be thanking a half naked man carrying an unconscious me out of the woods. Just sayin.

Let me clarify that I like the movies and will probably see the third installment Eclipse opening weekend. It's just the unrealistic nature of that entire scene rubbed me the wrong way. Stephanie Meyers seems to be doing alright for herself and is far more established in her career than I am, but I hope with my book I can keep it real. I get that her book is fantasy: vampires, werewolves, ect. But that scene was a situation very much grounded in the realms of reality at least there was nothing supernatural about it.

Where I grew up teenagers experimented with drugs, sex, and the darker things in life. I grew up in suburbia in a town like so many other towns across the country. So when I read a book about teenagers it confuses me when these things aren't even mentioned. These days I have found there are more wolves in high school than little red riding hoods. By no means am I promoting these things, but I'm not discounting them either. They happen whether parents, teachers, and other adults choose to recognize them or not. Someone asked me if my book was the type of book parents would want their kids to read. I answered honestly and said "no". My book is putting it all out there, but I am not using anything I haven't personally or second hand experienced. Some people prefer to live in their bubble of ignorant bliss whereas I do not.

It's like one of my character's says, "I would rather you hurt with me your truth than pacify me with your lies."

1 comment:

Claire Dawn said...

It's a detail that they gloss over. Sam is a part of the Quileute tribe, and Charlie sent them to go look for her.

I never saw it as you did, because I'd read the back. But if you hadn't I guess it would be pretty creepy.

-Claire Dawn.

Post a Comment