Rainbows, pots of gold, and oreo cookies

Did you ever know someone who had the tendancy to complain about their unfortunate circumstances, but never did a damn thing to change them? The girl complaining about her weight while she devours an entire box of oreos or the guy who complains he never has any money to pay his bills but seems to have enough to go out drinking three times a week? Yeah...those people. Well I used to be one of those people too. This past New Years I was depressed that another year had gone by and I had yet to accomplish any of my dreams, one of the biggest ones being "write a novel". A friend told me, "If you're upset about your dreams not coming true, then go make them come true."

With St. Patrick's day approaching I am thinking about that mythical pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. So here I am chasing rainbows, getting winded cause I'm very out of shape, but still here I am running after them. One rainbow will lead me to a literary agent, another will lead me to a publisher, and yet another will lead me towards the journey of my next novel which I have already started writing. (My husband Antonio says this is premature however) Maybe all these years I never found my pot of gold because I was sitting around waiting for it to fall in my lap instead of being more proactive about hunting it down myself.

My life has not been an easy one for reasons I would rather not disclose on a blog. And for years all I could see were the dark clouds, thunder storms, and puddles surrounding me. The infamous "they" say its best to write what you know, well I know teen angst pretty damn well so my novel The Journey is full of it. There are six characters struggling with life and the search for who they are. Dani needs to open her heart to love, Reed needs to learn how to be a friend to himself and others, Tyler needs to accept his own personal limitations, Perry needs to let go of the past and learn to grow from it, Caleb needs to come out of his shell by taking chances and experiecing life, and Lauren needs to make peace with herself. All six of them chasing rainbows, but what's beautiful is that they don't even know it.

Sweaty, out of breath, with all my muscles aching as I keep running like a decapitated chicken towards those rainbows that will lead me to my pot of gold. At least this time around I'm actually going for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listen...Claudia told me never to stop writing so even (if for some crazy reason) you are not published, you should still continue to write the sequel. Write for yourself and no one else. If anything you will have something that you can be proud of and that you can share with those that you know. The most important thing to remember is that being published is extra besides the enjoyment of writing the novel which was your goal in the first place.

Post a Comment