I used to live in Never Never Land

"Scars are proof that we were brave enough to fight the battle and strong enough to survive it"- Laura Kaponer-Abate 2008

Facebook is a great way to re-connect with people you knew back when. Some people have achieved so much traveling the world, playing venues in their band, high fashion modeling, starting up their own business ventures, and then there's me...

Looking back I see all the things I never was but desperately wanted to be. In school I was never popular, athletic, beautiful, invited to cool parties, or accomplished in any way that was important to my peers. Sure there were things I did well, but nothing I really did exceptionally well. That was then...

Now I see all the things I could be and the steps I am taking to get there. A New York Time's best selling novelist, a mother, physically and mentally healthy, a better friend, a supportive wife, and the best version of myself I could possibly be. I think part of knowing your strengths are knowing your limitations too. And I limit myself when I wait by the curb each day for Doc and Marty Mcfly to drive up in the DeLorean to whisk me off into my past to fix my supposed mistakes and short comings. Stop living in the shadows of your past Laura and look into the daylight of your future.

Everyone has a purpose. Maybe I don't know mine yet which would explain all my fumbles but I am still willing to try. The truth is that other ventures didn't work out for me previously because my heart wasn't in it. My heart has always been in writing. This novel saved me. It made me believe that I am extraordinary whether the rest of the world knows it or not. I know it or at least I'm trying to know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is important that you have realized that knowing your limitations is a positive thing. People set out to do things that arent obtainable for themselves and just set themselves up for failure. I still believe that you need to focus on the great things you have in your life and not on what others have that you dont have. Remember "the grass always appears greener on the other side"...dont fall victim to something thats not reality!

Post a Comment