Where My Heart Is

Judgment

I stand before you to state my case
Although the verdict had already been branded across my face
Guilty of destroying my innocence in one single act
Please place compassion where my own judgment lacked
Pleading for a second chance despite my shameful crime
When I realize all the faces on the jury are mine


When I started writing around seven years old it was poetry. Gradually I moved onto short stories, plays, and eventually my first novel. During the process of writing my novel I found myself inserting original poetry just like the one above. It reminded me where my heart has always been. Although I love the journey writing this novel has taken me on, I want to get back to my roots. Over the next several weeks I will be scouring old journals, notebooks, and computer drives for my poetry. Unfortunately most stuff before college will be lost, but that will only compel me to write new stuff. I want to gather about 50 pieces and put together an anthology. This is not INSTEAD of editing my first novel or working on my second, but in ADDITION to.

More writing might mean less of the negative things I do in my spare time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT IDEA!! Anything that helps you cope in a more positive way! I certainly enjoy reading then when you post! Happy Writing!!

Claire Dawn said...

Go for it. If it's possible to get a copy from whatever corner of the world I happen to be in, I'll be first in line :)

Post a Comment