Missing Someone Who Has Lost Herself

Confessional Tuesday

Dear Alexis,

I miss you even though I shouldn't. I miss the girl I met my sophomore year of college who stood by me when almost everyone else turned their backs on me. I miss the girl who said after my suicide attempt, "What can I do to be a better friend to you?" I remember the nights we'd laugh so hard I'd pee myself: quote book, playing in the fountain at SUNY, movies nights...

I remember when Mark and I went to visit you in Spain. You were spending the year studying abroad, but you seemed like you belonged there. We met your international friends, you played translator and in my case match maker, and we explored Sevilla together. Being overseas with you felt just as comfortable as being in my childhood home because you made it that way.

I remember all the trips I took to the other side of the Hudson River to hang out with you and your friends, who then became my friends. Slumber parties, chillin' in Jarod's basement, driving around aimlessly, and the diner where I got drunk off of water. You introduced me to the world of Harry Potter, the movies anyways. I still haven't read any of the books.

I remember the trip to Six Flags that we took with Elliot and Mark. I remember the New Years Eve/Dave's birthday party at my house. I remember my farewell party when I was going to Australia for the summer. I remember Jarod's graduation party. There were apparently a lot of parties...

So when I think back to the years of memories we built together, it pains me that you didn't care enough to try. When I called you that day to ask you to be my Maid of Honor I was so nervous that you would refuse me, I don't know why because you hadn't refused me once in our entire friendship. Because of the distance, me in S.C. and you in D.C., your traditional duties were severely shortened. In the end you had a year and half to write a speech, buy a dress, and show up. You showed up in the dress, but what happened to the speech?

You stood up there and summed up our entire friendship in about two minutes. You confessed after a few drinks to a some people that you hadn't written a speech at all. You even asked a mutual friend months earlier to write the speech for you. You broke my heart. I don't know who you became, but I don't miss that person.

Part of me questioned if I ever knew you at all. A year after my wedding the truth unfolded from several sources: you took all the credit at the time for my bachelorette party yet in reality had nothing to do with it but paying your way, you never made countless phone calls and email attempts to the various bridal party members like you had claimed (some of them said they had never even heard from you once), the long speech you said you spent more than a year working on but changed at the last minute because your boyfriend told you it was too much about me (no shit, I'm the bride) was never written at all.

You never gave me a single reason why when I asked you.

After our falling out I made several attempts to reach out to you and repair our friendship. You were going to visit me two summers ago, but had to cancel for work obligations. Then I find out you made five or six trips to NY that summer never once calling me to make plans. I leave you voice messages which you don't return. I send you emails, yet get no replies. You tell my husband and some of my friends how you miss me and regret the way things went down, but do nothing to make things right. I gave you so many chances to start fresh with me and you threw each one away like it meant nothing.

I miss you and I know I shouldn't. More than three years later I still hurt even though you probably don't. And I will never completely close off that part of my heart that you belong to because I just can't. I think our friendship is a buried treasure and maybe someday we'll find it again together.

Sincerely,
Laura

6 comments:

Regina said...

If she doesn't realize what she is giving up right now, maybe she will eventually. I can understand that you miss her. I had a friend like her once. It is hard when they break your heart and leave you hanging. It makes you wonder what you did wrong, but truth be told, maybe she decided that she was wrong for you. You are wonderful the way you are and I hope she is smart enough to grab a shovel.

Claire Dawn said...

I wonder if all girls have a friend from school days who makes them wonder these things? And makes them think "if only" and "what if?"

Cheryl B. Dale said...

I'm sorry.

I know you miss her but why not spend time cultivating new friendships with people who don't lie and who make you feel better about yourself? Sounds like she wants to cut you out of her life and it may be because she doesn't like the way she's treated you. Usually, if we know we've wronged someone, we don't like facing them.

So let her go. If one day she wants to be friends again, accept her but be wary. It's hard for people to change.

ElbieNy25 said...

Thanks guys. I think the problem is I am holding onto the person she used to be and it's hard for to to discount all the good she's done in my life.

But if she doesn't think our friendship is worth fighting for then why should I?

Anonymous said...

I wish she had visited this site like I advised her to...well, you always have me and Rita!!

Anonymous said...

Slvronthetree17 said...

As we go through life we will find ourselves being tested time and time again by all types of people.

People lie, manipulate and cheat: its part of who we are. We are all guilty of these sins. Many of us are simply trying to get by and hopefully most of us who have a loving family and who have a great group of friends succumb to these temptations less frequently.

That being said: friendship is a two way street-did you make any effort to stage an intervention or to tell those closest to her that she's lost herself?

Maybe you haven't fully been able to let go because you are clinging to the person you once thought her to be. The truth is she was probably just as scared and vulnerable as you are right now only she hid it better; and it took more time for that to come about.

Let me be honest: you don't know me and I don't know you but it sounds like you had some good times. Her behavior at your wedding sounds inexcusable, but is it right to condemn a person based on a few actions when their prior actions are decent or generous?

The true test of friendship isn't who we are when times are good its who we are when they are awful. Why didn't you stand by her and try to guide her back to herself?

Lastly, writing can be therepeutic. She hurt you this much is clear. Write about her, trash talk her to your friends and cry about her but do it in PRIVATE. It is in bad taste to air your dirty laundry on a blog; especially when the subject of your derision cannot defend herself.

If you truly miss her then have the guts to tell her that personally and not through a computer site. Who knows maybe the two of you can save your deteriorating relationship.

Post a Comment