Takes One to Know One

Trial and Error Monday

The new and exciting thing I tried this weekend was going to the "Open Door Bookstore" event where they hosted 14 local authors, all self published or small press. It was my neighbor who spotted the event advertised in the newspaper and made me promise I would go. Like vegetables, she felt it would be really good for me.

I do NOT like going to parties, events, the mall, anywhere by myself. Although I consider myself a pretty outgoing person, this is where the shy girl I used to be all throughout my childhood comes back to the surface. I still contemplated all of last week whether I was actually going to go or not and when I finally decided the morning of I desperately tried to find someone to go with me. Of course it was Friday night and people had other plans.

But I went after work. The Map Quest directions were a bit confusing, I recently broke up with my GPS, so after a little getting lost I found my way there. Thirty minutes early, there before all the authors, it gave me time to read the mini "bio" cards they had set up for each author on the display table with all the books. There was a variety of work: poetry, self help, a children's book series, short stories, fables, non-fiction/sports.

The first author to show up Rashaun Allen was the youngest and coincidentally a recent grad from my alma mater SUNY Albany. We chatted for a bit mostly about our experiences at SUNY. Then I spoke with Mary Kuykendall Weber who published short stories about growing up in rural Virginia. Her publication was a result of a contest win. I approached Bonnie Wayne, who was the only one representing children's books at this event. Her books were unique in that they combined her love of taking wacky photos of her two poodles and education. I became a fan on Facebook and joined her "petition" to get her dogs onto Ellen. Author Douglas J. Gladstone approached me after overhearing that I was an aspiring writer. He gave me advice that boiled down to confidence and self promotion, he feels his success is attributed to his strong self drive. I told author Bill Giruzzi about some ideas I had for my writing. He wrote a self help book and is currently working on the sequel. Next I spoke with Todd Fabozzi about poetry and anti-poetry. He explained that he self published because he didn't think an agent or publishing company could do anything for him that he couldn't do for himself. He talked expenses and how he turned a profit with me. Last but not least I spoke with Mimi Moriarty about the love of poetry and her fascinating book "Let's Watch a Movie! Using Popular Videos to Enrich Your marriage". I'm a movie nut, so I was fascinated by this idea. We even recommended movies for the other to see.

All in all this was an amazing experience. I got business cards and contact info from some of the authors. And Mimi told me to contact her if I ever wanted some guidance. I am so glad I went and look forward to someday being on the other end. (I ended up buying 7 of the books, but I rationalized that they were books and not shoes.)

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

It's always great to get to talk to other authors! It usually gives me a jumpstart for working on my own stuff.

Anonymous said...

glad you went! Im sure you obtained knowledge that is very unique and will be helpful on your journey! sometimes putting yourself out there is very beneficial!

Claire Dawn said...

What a great opportunity! Lucky you!

(I bought 6 books on Tuesday. I have rationalised that at least one was a Japanese study guide. Not that I've opened that one or anything...)

Post a Comment