Slaying the Stigma

This is my first "Nobody Interview". The subject is Kellie Roylance- Canestrari. Since May is Mental Health Month I felt inspired to kick off the interviews talking about Mental Illness. I would like to thank Kellie for agreeing to participate and being so open about her condition with all of us.

1. How do we know each other?

We have a mutual friend and used to work together

2. Have you been formerly diagnosed?
and if so, what is your diagnosis?

Yes - previously diagnosed with depression.....recently in December diagnosed with PTSD and Bipolar Disorder

3.What is the hardest thing about living with a mental illness?

The stigma associated with it. The misconception that I cannot live with a mental illness and be a good mother to my children. That I cannot handle any "stress"......that I need someone to take care of me.

4. You have two young children. How much of your condition are they aware of?

Chaz (her son) especially knows that I have a therapist as he does - I tell him that this is someone that I go and talk to about how I feel - it's someone that is not my friend or my family.....they just listen and help me stay strong. As far as my actual diagnosis, they really don't know anything......when I attempted suicide, they were told that I was very tired and needed to take a rest to get stronger. They see me take my meds and I tell them that they help me stay strong so that I don't have to go into the hospital again.

5. No two people that suffer from Mental Illness are the same, even if they are suffering from the same condition. What has personally helped you along the way? What hasn't?

My spirituality has helped me tremendously. It keeps me focused on what really matters. It keeps me in touch with my body. My children are an amazing source of strength to me - just looking in their eyes or hearing their voice. It is immeasurable.
"Friends" who are judgemental of me or my behavior while "cycling" down has never helped me. After all is said and done, and the dust has settled, I look around and see those still standing by my side......that is what really matters. Not those who treat me like a mental patient even when I am not in the hospital.


6. How many times have you been in the hospital? Why do you think in general so many people that suffer with Mental Illness end up hospitalized several times?

Twice. For people suffering from conditions like depression or bipolar, I think it is an issue of medication. The medication either stops working or the person stops taking it. For more severe conditions like schizophrenia, I honestly don't think our society knows how to handle these people. The police see them as out of control and treat them like criminals. That ends up in another hospitalization.

7. You told us how you explained to your children your condition, but how do you explain it to the adults in your life who don't understand?

I tell them my brain has a short circuit somewhere......my highs are really high and my lows are really low. My medication helps to regulate this so that I can live a "normal" life on an even keel.

8. How did you find the right medication? Are you on the right medication in your opinion?

I believe it was thru trial and error. Working with my psychology team to find the right "cocktail".......and I don't know yet if I am on the right medication. The side effects of Lithium are exactly my favorite - weight gain, trembles, did I mention weight gain? Dry skin, weight gain. But mentally it has given me some balance.

9. Many remain "closeted" about their conditions because of the stigma and judgments that you talk about. I admire your bravery about being so open. Were you always this way when it came to your Mental Illness? Any advice you can give others who may still be trying to find the strength?

I suppose I was always so open. It was a part of me - I had to own it in order to be able to live with it. If I hide it and stuff it down, then I am living a lie, aren't I? And I refuse to do that. My advice would be just that - to own it. To accept it as a part of you. Love yourself - all the parts, even the mental illness. It makes you who you are.

10. I want to thank you once again for not only being part of my "Nobody Interviews" on my blog, although you a definitely a huge somebody to me, to end things on a lighter note I have a silly question I will end all my interviews on. If you could be any type of breakfast cereal, what would you be and why?

Honey Bunches of Oats - Not only am I good for you but I am sweet with a little crunch too! :)

8 comments:

Delaina said...

I think this is fantastic and eye opening. What a brave person to open up about something so personal. Thank you for doing this.

Anonymous said...

This well done. I learned a lot from this interview. Thank you to both of you.

Unknown said...

Great stuff, Laura. I think what you're doing this month is beyond great.

Kellie: You're brave and awesome, too. Fight the good fight, and never, ever, give up.

Chuck23 said...

I think what is helpful, is when people who suffer from a disorder are able to relate to other people who have the similer disorder - so that they know how normal they are. I think that there are those who can truely speak of what it does and the damage -- and that can help another know that there are others who deal with it to. Maybe even offer some insight if nothing else they know they are not alone.

I skipped commenting on this one earlier because of the sentence, "For more severe conditions like schizophrenia, I honestly don't think our society knows how to handle these people." I was once diagnosed with schizophrenia before I wasn't. I instead have a bad anxiety disorder not a mentel disorder, but the two are similar in symptoms. But that's just a hell of thing to say society doesn't know how to handle these people. Maybe that's your point. Dunno. A bit offensive to some maybe, but you ask my specific opinion.

ElbieNy25 said...

Thanks everyone for your feedback and support.

Chuck- In my personal experience I think society as a whole doesn't know how to deal with people that have Mental Illnesses. The proof is the trial and error medication game, the multiple hospitalizations, and the fact that so many people are taught to be ashamed of their condition as if it's their fault or something they did wrong when that couldn't be farther from the truth. This interview is only meant to enlighten, not offend.

Karen Winters Schwartz said...

Thank you, Kelly and Laura. This is exactly the sort of thing we need to see/read more of. This is my mission with my novel: Where are the Cocoa Puffs?. I want to decrease stigma by portraying my character who’s suffering from bipolar disorder as what she really is -- a normal human being. I commend you, Kelly, for coming forward!

Anonymous said...

Aww...I LOVE KELLIE!!! Laura this was a good idea and Im sure it helped Kellie remember how special she really is!

Claire Dawn said...

Thank you Kellie, for opening up.

I'm also bipolar, and I'm very open about it. Who has problems dealing with it, that's their issue, not mine. I'm off meds, and I deal with it on my own strength now. The trial and error thing had way to much error for me. They got rid of the lows but just couldn't figure how to clip the highs, and I was getting worse.

I'm not at the stage where it's just a part of who I am. I'll run away and curl up in a ball sometimes, but when I'm happy I'm through the roof. I can see the silver linings now.

Post a Comment