SAT's, Musical Chairs, and Cute Boys

This is from Katie's Point of view

Recently in an interview I was asked what my passion was. I had no clue how to answer that because in all honesty I don't think I have one. Most people I know at least had some inkling at this point in their life. And certain people like Charlie and Nick had known since early childhood. Jerks! Not really, I'm just completely envious is all.

If I were being completely honest here I would have to say I peeked around the age of nine. Back in elementary school when the entire class got birthday invites before we reached the social eliticism of middle school I dominated games. Not board/card/video games, but the social games that oddly enough required little to no actual social skills: Red Rover, Red Light Green Light, Duck Duck Goose, and Musical Chairs. These games didn't really require need much tactic; you just needed to be aware of your opponents. What I liked best about these games was that they all had hard and fast rules that left little room for creative variations.

Most people hate being put in a box yet this is where I feel most comfortable. Rules are a good thing. Tell me where to be, what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. If you leave me to my own devices the Apocalypse may happen. Maybe not but let's not chance it. Math was my favorite subject in school for the same reason I enjoyed those childhood games; there is only one path to the end result. Put me in a creative writing class and you'll find me crying in the corner balled up in the fetal position. How am I supposed to know what Walt Whitman was trying to convey in "Leaves of Grass"? Why didn't someone ask him while he was still alive? And how is finding this out going to benefit me in any way? Waste of time if you ask me.

Charlie was certifiably nuts. It made no sense to me how you could live out of a duffel bag for years with no clear direction or plan. He completely ignores practical matters such as food, shelter, supplies, and the finances to take care of those things. Nick on the other hand was the kind of guy that had the next twenty years mapped out. He had a day planner that he scheduled his life in and a dry erase board on the fridge with reminders for upcoming events during the week. Stable, dependable, reliable Nick. Erratic, unpredictable, and flaky Charlie.

Being with Nick would be easy. He always ironed out the details for our plans and organized household matters then just filled me in on what I needed to know. He was a paint by numbers. His touch, his smell, his laugh sent warmth in my body. Moving in with him after I graduated seemed natural to me because he was so safe and familiar. May sound boring to most but this gave me a great sense of comfort in a world full of so many uncomfortable things.

I was on my bed reading a book when my door flew open. Charlie was flushed in the face as he marched towards me. There's that unpredictability rearing its ugly head-literally. All I could do was look at him with a deer in headlights expression because I had no clue what this was about.

"Do you make a habit of fucking guys on the living room floor and then never talking to them again?

My jaw dropped. How was I supposed to respond to that? "It's not like that Charlie."

"I don't know what you think of me, but I'm not that guy. I won't be your barometer to see if you have feelings for Nick. This isn't a Coke and Pepsi taste test over here." His voice softened and he sat next to me on the bed. "That meant something to me Katie. You mean something to me."

"Oh my god. Seriously? You need to know I'm not the naive stupid little girl everyone thinks I am. This is so typical of you. You found something that interests you for the moment. Wow, I guess I should be tickled pink that its' me like all the other girls. Here's the thing you'll eventually get bored, pack up your duffel bag and leave."

"I'm not going to walk away with my tail between my legs like Nick did when you brushed him off. And you know what Katie? You are a scared little girl. Something different came your way and because you have no clue with to do with it you decide to push it away. Guess what I'm not going to let you. I have never wanted anything more in my life than you. That's just not something you give up without a fight."

"What about Nick? I thought you said you wouldn't go there because I was his girl."

Charlie smiled, "Well first of all if I recall the way things happened, you went there that day in the living room. And if after four years Nick hasn't grown a pair to make a move then that's his problem, not mine."

"Nick and I have history. You and I just met."

"Having history with someone doesn't mean you have a future with them." Damn him! That actually makes a lot of sense.

"Yeah but with you there are no guarantees."

"Nick can't give you any guarantees either. Life doesn't have many of them. Katie you have to take chances." He leaned over, kissed my cheek, and then got up to leave.

"Giving up so quickly?" I teased.

"No, giving you some time to think. You know where to find me."

When prepping for the SAT's they tell you tricks for answering the multiple choice questions. Of the four one will be obviously wrong and can quickly be discarded. Then there's one maybe answer. That leaves two strong possibilities. But this is life and not a scantron test.

No comments:

Post a Comment