The Piece Formerly Known As Complications: Part IV

When you walk into Banjo's the aroma of freshly baked goods and blended coffee tickles the inside of your nose. An array of wooden tables with stools scattered about or the cozy corner as I referred to it with sofas, oversized pillows on the floor, and that papazan chair I hoarded during my breaks. There was always a variety of music playing softly through the overhead speakers that ranged from classical to modern to hip-hop.

The staff actually enjoyed working there. It was rare that someone clock watched or desperaely tried to get out of a shift. People often volunteered to stay longer, come in earlier, or offer an extra hand during the busier seasons. I would have to attribute that to Uncle Tommy. If the Pillsbury Dough Boy could come to life, he would have been Uncle Tommy. The man always had a smile on his face, rubbed his rotund belly when happy, and was a self proclaimed hug monster. He had this full laugh that echoed throughout the cafe. He never lost his cool even with the most grisly of customers. Everyone loved him, yet another reason a job at Banjo's was so coveted. Uncle Tommy hired based on personality, not skill set. "Skills you can teach, but a warm heart and sense of humor you cannot."

Even though I was one of three new hires, Nick seemed to take a personal interest in me. Maybe because the other two newbies weren't insurnace liabilities in the waiting. This is not an exageration. I mopped the floors and forgot to put the "caution wet floors sign up", thankfully it was me who ended up slipping and falling on my flat ass. Or the time I set off the smoke detectors when I set a muffin on fire, don't ask how I did it, I'm just skilled like that. How was I to know you had to use a filter when making a pot of coffee? That was a messy clean-up. My personal favorite was when I got my apron caught in the toaster.

It must be a family trait because Nick never made me feel bad about my mishaps. We laughed at each one, together. I even coined the term "pulling a Katie" when someone made a goof up. I think it's easy when something is second nature to you that you would get frustrated with someone who is so utterly clueless, but Nick told me he empathized with me.

"Come on Mr. O'Shay, name one thing that you aren't good at?"

Nick was sweeping up at the end of a shift. It was just me and him, we were the usual crew to shut things down each night. And this was something I admired about him, even though he was management he was never one to hesitate to get his hands dirty just like the rest of us. "You want a list? I can't dance, can't carry a tune to save my life, have no athletic skills what-so-ever, I can't snap with my left hand. Now take my cousin, he can do all this things with flair and at the same time."

"Ah Big Foot."

Nick emptied the dust pan into the trash while nodding. "He was the guy that could do anything, the local hero. I was never Nick O'Shay to our classmates, I was Charlie's cousin whats his name again?"

"Do you resent him?"

"Oh no, I admire him. For the longest time I wanted to be him, but I'm perfectly happy these days being plain old reliable boring Nick."

"Hey I'm sure Charlie's shit stinks just like the rest of us."

Shock was painted all over his face, "Katie Keppler did you just use profanity?"

"I know, I'm sorry. Please don't tell anyone."

"How could I? You think anyone would believe me."


Even though college is supposed to be the time in your life where you finally get to make your own choices after having choices constantly shoved down your throat....well they fail to mention this little thing called pre-requisites that take up your entire freshman year. My sanity would have been long gone during that year had it not been for Nick. Not only did he send the occasional warm muffin my way, but then there were the text messages.

robust woman came in insisting on skim milk in her coffee, no sugar then made certian I put half a pound of butter on her bagel.

The blueberry muffin stands alone. Why is there no love for the Blueberry muffin? One is the loneliest number....

teenager walked in and wanted to know if we accept cash as a method of payment. I almost wanted to give him his food for free.

Fire truck sped past the store today, made me think of you

I would never tell Nick this, but he was my first real friend. Growing up I had a tendancy to keep to myself. It wasn't that I didn't want friends, I just didn't know how to get any. Countless afternoons were spent creating plays with my barbies, my cabbage patch kids, my troll dolls. I guess my specialty was inanimate companions. I shyed away from clubs, sports, and any sort of social activity with my peers. Loner by choice. Don't start to feel bad for me because I liked it that way. Not every little girl dreams of being head cheerleader or prom queen.

My friendship with Nick wasn't something I pursued, it just sort of happened. It began that day he hired me. Next thing we were spending a lot of time together at work while he trained me. During down time we exchanged our mad life skills; he taught me how to play Phase 10, I taught him the chicken dance. Seemed like a fair trade. There we so many late nights he would hang out at my dorm helping me study for tests. Maybe the reason we latched onto one another is because we were both lonely, just for very different reasons. Nick had managed to cocoon himself at the cafe and I had managed to cocoon myself within myself.

The night we went to see the Vagina Monologues together I think our mere co-worker/acquitanceship blossomed to the next level. Part one was the actual play, part two was the evening stroll through campus afterwards.

With his hands in his pockets and his eyes glued to the pavement he mumbled, "Do girls really do all that?"

"Do what?"

"Fake orgasms that well."

My face turned completely red, "I wouldn't know. Never been in that situation."

"Wow, so you've had nothing but first class lovers. Good for you." When he noticed my lack of response he put his hand on arm to stop me from walking. "Katie?"

"You'll laugh at me."

"I always laugh at you, laughter is the foundation of our friendship."

I looked up into his hazel eyes, "Not about this Nick, this is different."

"Katie you can tell me anything, I hope you know that." His smile was the reassurance I needed.

"I've never been with a guy, in that way or hardly in any way really. It's embaressing because I think most of my classmates were doing things while I was at home reading my Sweet Valley High Books."

"I think The Wakefield twins can take pride in preserving the virginity of young people all over the country." He laughed.

"How do you know about those books? Is there something you aren't telling me?" I poked him playfully in his side.

"It's time I told you the truth about me as well, but just like I didn't judge you, you cannot judge me."

Suddenly I got very serious and quiet. "I promise."

"I used to be a girl." My eyes widened with shock until Nick burst into laughter.

"You silly goose!"

He pulled me in for a hug, our first hug. Physical affection had previously been such a foreign concept to met yet in that moment I realized something amazing I had been missing out on. The connection you can feel with someone just through touch. The warmth of our two bodies on that cold winter night. Nick O'shay gave me something I couldn't explain even if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment