115 N Holmes Street: Louwin

During my afternoon nap my muse came to visit. I think she/he was briefly in the Bahamas. I don't know if I'm more pissed that she/he left me on such short notice or that she/he didn't offer to take me along. Anyways here's a new series.

LOUWIN

Options, we all have them during various cross roads in our lives or so that was my theory. You can imagine my disappointment when my parent's college graduation gift consisted of a pat on the back and the words "Good luck kiddo!". Mom explained now that their one and only child had entered adulthood they had decided it was their turn to pursue the life they wanted. After twenty two years of financially and emotionally supporting me they had both retired, sold the house, and were finally taking that trip around the world they had always dreamed of.

I guess I shouldn't be bitter because unlike most people my age I was completely debt free: no student loans, no credit card bills, no car payments. But on the flip side I now had no place to live, no health insurance, and no income. My parents promised that no matter where they were they would call once a week. My cell phone had been paid up until the end of the year.

Sitting behind the wheel of my graduation gift from four years before, my dad's hand me down Honda Civic, thinking how I was there the day he brought this brand new and drove out of the dealership. Dad had even told me on that first drive that some day this car would be mine. I drove to the bank to see just how much monetary hope was left in my account. They had a sign on the front door "Help Wanted." I thought, yeah me too.

Staring down at the application I questioned what qualified me for this teller position. These days a college degree didn't mean quite as much as when my parents had earned theirs. Then I remembered in high school I was the class treasurer. I couldn't come up with fund raising ideas or plan social functions to save my life but balancing accounts seemed easy to me. And you can't beat a banker's hours. I scanned the bank lobby trying to figure out if I could actually see myself working here. It seemed peaceful which was quite a change from hectic dorm life.

A young woman, probably in her early thirties, came out from behind a small cubicle. She was wearing a gray suit, heals, hair pulled back in a low bun, and glasses perched above her nose. It was like she was trying to make herself look older than she was perhaps so she would be taken more seriously. She was making a bee line towards the tellers when she noticed me, "Is someone helping you?"

"Oh no, not yet. I'm just finishing up my application."

No sooner had those words left my mouth then the bank lady reached out her hand for my paperwork. She looked it over while nodding to herself. Then she glanced back over at me, "Do you have a free moment now?"

Sadly my life had been a series of free moments. I awkwardly smiled back at her and stood up to follow her back to her cubicle. She motioned for me to sit down in one of the two chairs on the other side of her desk.

She outstretched her hand, "I am Theresa, the branch service manager. Louwin is it? That is an interesting name."

"Well my mom is Lourdes and my dad is Edwin. They decided to name their one and only child after themselves. I have yet to meet another Louwin in my life which is cool. But I can never find a cute customized trinket with my name on it either. I guess it's a give and take." Why the hell was I rambling? This was my first job interview ever and I was sure I was completely blowing it.

But she laughed. "I appreciate the back story. I have never met a Louwin either. I see on your application that you have no previous job experience which is fine since this is an entry level position. My only major concern is your address."

"My address?"

"Yes, well you listed a home address that is more than two hours away. That would be quite a commute."

I felt my face flush, "I just graduated college last week. I'm sort of in between addresses right now. Thankfully I have two more weeks before I get kicked out of the dorms and become officially homeless. You see my parents sold the house and moved away." There goes that rambling thing again. Strike #2 against Louwin.

Theresa took off her glasses revealing a face far more youthful than she was trying to portray. I thought once a woman hit twenty-five she went through all kinds of desperate attempts to appear younger.

She smiled at me, "I can tell you are nervous. Believe it or not it was not that long ago that I was in your position and someone was kind enough to take a chance on me." She bit her lip, "Listen I have this friend, Daphne Keller, she may have a room for rent. Tell her Theresa sent you."

Theresa handed me her business card with a name, address, and telephone number written on the back. "Thank you." I got up to leave and then realized the main purpose of why I was here. "Did I get the job?"

"See you on Monday. Casual business attire."


Curiosity got the better of me; instead of calling ahead I wanted to do a drive by to see this house that was renting out rooms. If it was in some shady neighborhood I wouldn't even bother. It was a nice spring day. The neighborhood was beautiful. There were kids riding their bicycles in the middle of the street. All the houses were old colonials and no two looked exactly the same. I parked my car a little down the street and walked my way up to 115 N Holmes Street. It was a two story pale yellow house with a small front porch. There was an older Hispanic woman out front sweeping the steps.

She caught my eye, "Buenas Tardes!" She shouted.

Shit, my high school Spanish was a bit rusty. "Hey. Are you Daphne?"

She propped her broom up against the side of the house. "Miss Daphne will be home soon. Would you like some lemonade?" Before I could respond she walked into the house and I was left standing there. Should I stay? Should I go? To avoid being rude I plopped my rear down on the steps awaiting her return.

She came back out and handed me a glass of lemonade. The coolness tickled my lips and trickled down my throat. This situation was so confusing. Daphne was renting out rooms, but she also had a housekeeper?

She sat down next to me and smiled, "I'm Maggie. I rent a room from Miss Daphne. Are you here about a room?"

I shrugged, "Maybe." I didn't want to seem too eager, but if the inside was anything like the outside this was a definite possibility.

Maggie nodded on the direction of the driveway where a car had just pulled into the driveway. "Miss Daphne".

No comments:

Post a Comment