Thirty Fingers, Thirty Toes

****Caleb and Lila plus three, Caleb's perspective****


Like most people I don't like being proven wrong, however there have been a few occasions where I didn't mind it so much.

When I was about eight years old I was stuck at home with a broken leg unable to play in the Pop Warner football league with the rest of my friends. It was my dad who showed there is more than one fun way to spend a summer afternoon; he gave me a hammer and asked me to help him make a bird house for my mom's garden. While sports had never really been my thing, I learned that making things with my hands was.

After my relationship with Sarah went horribly wrong I was convinced love, romance, and all the happiness I longed for just wasn't going to happen. And although I wasn't thrilled, I had learned to accept it. I took all my energies and poured them into my work which led me to a very lucrative career in construction. All of that changed when I met Lila. I learned I can have the career and the girl.

I count my blessings every day: beautiful home, wonderful family, strong career, and now a love I can't even describe has filled my heart. As I quietly walk into the nursery I first spot my slumbering wife in the rocking chair. Even though there has been plenty of help since the babies were born, she has been the driving force in our new found family. There was the family I was born into and then there was the one I had created. Until they were born I thought I had everything I could ever want and need.

There's my slumbering princess Samantha. My mom refers to her as "Giggles". Aside from the day she was born, this girl doesn't cry for anything. Instead she has a different giggle for everything: hold me, feed me, change me, play with me. She is mini-Lila in looks too; big brown curls and those deep brown puppy eyes.

I walk over to the next crib where Liam was squirming around. He's our little drama king. Liam tells us everything on his mind through his facial expressions and odd noises. While the other two are pretty good with sleeping and feeding schedules, Liam needs things done his way on his time. Good thing he's so darn cute. My sister says he looks exactly the way I did as a baby right down to the huge dimples in his chubby cheeks.

Last but definitely not least is Ollie aka Oliver. Even though he's the youngest of the three, it's been joked around that he has an old soul. Ollie is the quiet observer. He likes to take things in, everything in, and makes this scrunched up face like he's deep in thought. Lila and I both agree he's the exact physical combination of the two of us: her curly brown hair and my green eyes.

The pregnancy was rough towards the end. The stress on Lila's body was too much and we all worried not only would we lose the babies, but we might lose Lila too. Thankfully I have them all safely at home with me tonight. Yesterday the babies turned four months old. Having multiples isn't easy by any means. If it weren't for all the support from friends and family I'm not sure how we'd manage. Lila even found a "Parent's of Multiples" forum online she frequents when she can. I'm sure you can imagine her free time is very limited.

Often she falls asleep in the nursery and I usually carry her back to our bed. Tonight I think I want to stay in here with everyone. I slip down onto the floor, take Lila's hand into my own, and shut my eyes. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment