The Confrontation

***Nick's perspective***

Everything had changed after we slept together. I didn't mean for it to, but it had. Katie was making it her full time mission to avoid me at all costs. She had become such a consistent part of my life for the last four years that now it felt as if a piece of me was missing. If I could take it all back and just get things to the way they were, as long as I had my best friend here with me.

When Uncle Tommy had his heart attack Katie had come to comfort me. I thought maybe in tragedy we would come back together again. Maybe what happened to my uncle would make both of us realize life is too precious to push away those you care about most. Unfortunately no sooner did she come to the hospital then she left. Nothing had improved. She still hated me and I had no idea why. Worse than that I had no idea how to fix it.

A couple days ago I had tried to surprise her at work, but they told me she was home sick with a violent stomach bug. Of course I was worried. I rushed back to the house to see if she was okay, but she wasn't there. When I tried her cell phone I heard it going off right in her bedroom. It was nestled on her nightstand right next to her wallet. Where would she have gone without her cell and wallet? And her car was still in the driveway too.

I returned to work but my heart wasn't in it. I started fumbling on tasks that were second nature to me; giving out the wrong change to customers, burning food, and I even made a batch of coffee without the filter just like Katie had once done. Uncle Tommy was still home on bedrest which meant all the pressure of running the cafe was on me. It was important I got my head back into the game.

That night I sat in the living room forcing myself to eat some food I had brought back from the cafe. Katie was gone and so was my appetite. It had been two days and she still wasn't home. Then it hit me, neither was Charlie or his car. It had to be a coincidence because Katie didn't even like him. Charlie probably up and left town for another adventure of his. Right before I dozed off I remember thinking about how much better things would have been if Charlie had never come back.

Stuck in twilight unsure if I was awake or asleep I heard faint sounds in the distance. A car pulled in front of the house. The engine turned off. Foot steps up the walkway. Mixed laughter. The front door opening. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. There they were holding hands with stars in their eyes.

Charlie was so casual, "You have a bed you know."

I jumped to my feet then briskly walked towards them. "Katie are you okay?"

Guilt was painted all over her face. She didn't speak, but instead looked up at Charlie for answers. This had to be a dream, a horrible no good very bad dream. They had been together this whole time. The golden boy got what he wanted just like always no matter who got hurt because of it. I tried reaching out to her, "Katie?"

Her voice was barely above a whisper, "It wasn't planned. At least not by me."

I grew angry, "What does that mean?"

Charlie pulled Katie into him, "I decided to take her away for the day and it turned into a mini little trip. We were sitting by the river..."

"I don't give a shit!" Even I was startled by the tone in my voice. My eyes stayed locked on Katie's face. This was not the girl I knew.

She finally let go of Charlie's hand and came towards me. Her eyes were soft and sympathetic behind those glasses. My heart fluttered because I could see a glimmer of the girl I loved. She was still in there and Charlie hadn't completely ruined her. Katie pulled me in for a hug. The problem was that I could smell him all over her. I pushed her away, "Did you two have sex?"

Charlie grew defensive, "That's really none of your bussiness."

I looked at her, "But what about what happened between you and me?"

"What happened? You sat around for years ignoring what was right in front of you. Some of us know what we want and actually do something about it."

Katie looked down at the floor and I knew. She announced to the room, "I need time to figure things out."

I shook my head, "No, no more time. You have completely pulled away from me. I can't sit around waiting while you play around with him." The last word was dripping with an icy tone.

Charlie's face tightened, "I hate how you assume you know all about me and my intentions when the truth is that you don't know shit."

"You're right how could I know someone who chose to wrap himself up in his old little world and shut everyone out? But I do know Katie a whole of a hell lot better than you." I looked over at her and saw that she was fighting back tears.

Charlie laughed, "You're the one living in some kind of bubble. And you want to suck Katie into that bubble with you. Let her make up her own damn mind."

"Like you did when you forced her on that little outing?"

Katie screamed, "Stop it! I can't take this anymore. All this time it was breaking my heart that I had fallen for both of you and couldn't choose. Maybe I just need to walk away and be on my own." She looked at his face and then mine, then she dashed up the stairs and left us there.

Charlie let out a sigh and slumped against the wall. I stood in the same spot almost frozen and unsure what to do. This isn't like me. I don't want to be like this. Katie is hurting, Charlie is hurting, and I am hurting. For the first time in my life I don't have any idea what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment