All Good Things Must Come to An End

****This is from Katie's perspective****

This was the clearest my mind had been in a long time. No more fear. No more hesitation. No more indecisiveness. I stood on the front step to the place I had called home for almost six months now. My right hand grasped the envelope so tightly my knuckles were turning white. My head, my heart, and my gut were finally all in agreement.

My boss had been shocked when I told her I needed some time off work to take care of personal matters. She asked me how long and I told her I didn't know. She explained that she can only hold my job for so long. I understood the risk I was taking, but it was something that I had to do. My bank account had been emptied and the money was in my bulding wallet in my purse. Once I bought the tickets and asked him to go with me there was no turning back.

An hour ago I had sent both Nick and Charlie a text asking them to meet me at the house. My words were both direct and evasive. I refused to divulge any more details until I was in front of them both. I needed to look into one of their eyes to tell them I had fallen deeply in love with him. And moments later explain to the other that he just wasn't the guy for me. I wouldn't wish my circumstances on anyone. It was all bittersweet to give my heart to someone while breaking someone elses.

Katie you can do this. I walked inside and saw them both sitting on opposing sides of the couch. Two pairs of hazel eyes looked over at me as I approached them. "Please just let me just get it out before I lose my wind. I take full responsibility for being the one to cause this rift between all three of us." When they started to defend me I waved my hand to quiet them.

"I've always been the person who watches life pass me by. And to be honest I was okay with that because I was never some thrill seeking adrenaline junkie unlike some other people I know. Charlie you have this sense of adventure that intimidates me beyond belief. You create your own path, you make waves, you spice things up. I think it's so easy for most people to fall into the cafeteria line of life: choose your meat, choose your side, choose your veggie, choose your drink. Most of us, including myself, are sheep. You Charlie are the shepherd. I know I'm corny, but metaphors are all I've got here." I giggled. Thankfully both of them cracked a smile on their faces too.

"Nearly five years ago I was just some girl applying for a job at this cool cafe. There was nothing special or different about me. Nothing that set me apart from the rest. But Nick, you saw something about me that I didn't even see. And over the years I have known you I was eventually able to see it myself. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have found the family away from my family, learned how to brew the perfect pot of coffee, and the ability to laugh at myself. The last skill has come in handy countless times. You are by far the best person I know: selfless, honest, dependable, and loving. Believe it or not I think I have become a better person just by being around you."

I held up my envelope. "Today I took a leap of faith into the complete unknown. Not bad for a neurotic control freak. I have two train tickets to a surprise destination. I really don't know where since I told the clerk to book something for 4 PM this afternoon. Then she sealed it in an envelope before handing it over to me. I need to say that I love both of you just in very different ways and I only hope the person I don't ask to come with me will understand that I need to move forward with what I know is the right choice for me."

I extended my hand to Nick. He took it and stood up in front of me. "You are a part of me, my favorite part. Just the sound of your voice makes me smile. You have stood by my side through so much over the years. Now I am asking you to stand by my decision to be with Charlie. There is something there that's unexpected and if I don't go for it I'll spend the rest of my life wondering what could have been."

Nick's eyes teared up. "Katie I can't wait for you."

"I would never expect you to." I squeezed his hands.

He pulled me in for a tight hug. I didn't want him to let go, but knew we had to at some point. When he pulled away from me he turned towards Charlie, "Take good care of our girl." Charlie nodded. Nick walked out of the room without looking back.

Charlie grabbed my face with both hands before diving in for a passionate kiss. We walked towards the door hand in hand, then Charlie stopped me. "What about out things?"

I looked up at him, "I already have everything I need."

No comments:

Post a Comment